Wednesday, October 05, 2005

 

Just an update

Yes, I was going to write last week, but got distracted and ran very short on time. I know, everyone has that problem, right? So let me try to recall all my scattered thoughts.

Stupid Lost was on again last week, and it’ll be on again tonight. And like the addict I am and have no problem admitting, I watched it. And lo, it was stupid. It moves slower than molasses in January. And I think it actually does kill brain cells, but there you go. So do a lot of things. So does my job, really, and I come here every day. Lost “entertained” us by rewinding over the time-span they covered the week before, just to give us a few more details. To fill in whatever blanks we felt we were missing by not having seen every single second of every single character’s experience on the goddamn island. I’m sure this week, we’ll watch Sayid and that stupid Shannon flail around in the dark some more over the same time period, or flash over to poor, kidnapped Walt, or maybe even Jin’s experience with The Others (formerly referred to as The Lost Tribe of Loonies, which I think I like better than “The Other”, so I will call them, from now on, “TLTOL”). God. I cannot believe I am spending valuable minutes thinking about this stuff.

Like any addiction, the addict revels in the pleasure of the immediate experience with the substance, but afterwards, she hates herself and the substance for the weakness. Stupid Lost.

So I have nothing to report other than that I watched it.

On Friday evening, we had Mexican food from a little Mexican place I had been wanting to try. It was very, very good. We had a platter. Usually, I don’t venture out of my comfort zone to try any sort of weird stuff, but Mexican food is usually pretty decent, and the platter was full of familiar sorts of stuff (enchiladas, chimichanga, tostado, lomo de cerdo…) and I was starving. When I get that hungry, I can’t make rational, solid decisions. And I hate choosing, when I’m tired and hungry. So we had the platter, and it was fantastic. And as a bonus, I managed to keep it down, so that was very nice. We will definitely be going back to that place again. The service was, admittedly, quite terrible. We spent a full half-hour waiting for our bill. And there was some sort of mariachi singer karaoke-ing in the background part of the time. But the food – the food was fantastic. I was very pleased.

The worst thing about being sick the way I have been lately (if I eat solid food, I have a hard time keeping it down two to three hours later) is the anticipation. No, scratch that – the absolute worst thing is that when I am sick, and vomit up all of my hard-won food, little pieces of food get stuck in my nasal passages, and I have to say that is the absolute worst thing about being sick. But the second worst thing is the anticipation of being sick. So I eat dinner (I don’t eat lunch any more because, well, puking at work is no picnic), and then I sit and wait around for a couple, three hours to see if it’s going to come back up. If I am very careful and don’t eat too much (i.e. say, three ounces of food), then I’m OK. Depending on what the food was. If I eat too much, or if the food is maybe heavier or something, then it just comes back up. My doctor has no idea what the problem is. I went for a few tests last week, and am waiting to hear the results. Personally, I thought it was gallstones or something gall-bladder-related, but the tech who did my test said she didn’t see any. Whatever the problem is, I hope it gets sorted out eventually, because I’m hungry and tired all the time. See above re: hungry and tired and poor decision-making abilities.

Also on the weekend, I participated and volunteered with a charitable walk here in town. It was the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s first charitable walk, called “Light the Night”. It was pretty neat, actually – a five-kilometer walk where the participants all carry a lighted balloon. The balloons are filled with helium and are lit with a little light inside. Red balloons for supporters and white balloons for survivors of blood cancers, and the idea is that the big group of people, walking at night, looks a little like a bloodstream with red & white cells. Neat!! My uncle Paul has a blood cancer, so when my friend, T, asked if I would help volunteer, I said sure. I’m a little disappointed in myself that I didn’t have enough time to really get out and do a lot of hours for the walk before it happened, but on Saturday, I ran the balloon tent. We blew up about 350 balloons before the walk, and probably another 300 during the registration time. It was crazy busy for a while, which was great. And the weather cleared up for us for the walk, so the evening was quite nice. Rob came and brought the evil dogs, who seemed to have a good time on the walk, too.

I’m not all that big on charities, usually. But since we have a family connection, I participated, and it was fun. I’ll participate next year, of course, but I don’t think I’ll volunteer. They had more than enough people, really, for what they needed. The other charitable cause I’m working for this year will be the hurricane dog rescue. A group from Calgary has gone down to Louisiana to pick up around 75 animals to bring back to adopt out. They should be here on the weekend, and I can help out by assisting with the critters and trying to get some fundraising done. And, of course, by spreading the word about the need to have them all adopted into good, permanent homes.

On Sunday, we ran some errands and went to see Serenity. God. I don’t know what I should say about the movie. I loved the series so much… I have the DVD set. I’ve known the movie was coming for quite some time, and have been waiting. I must be getting old or something, and my stoic resolve is getting much weaker than I’m used to. I probably would have cried throughout the entire thing if I hadn’t been so keen to concentrate on what was happening. I was just so glad to see all the characters again.

The movie, as a standalone, was very good. Fast-paced, good storyline and tons of action… you could go and see the movie without having watched the series, easy. And it would be enjoyable.

However, if you watched and liked the series, Serenity was even better. Gah. Better that I don’t talk too much of it. But I loved it, of course, and will probably see it again (maybe more than once), and will buy the DVD when it comes out.

The weekend went too quickly, as they all do. Monday, it was back to work. The new TV season hasn’t disappointed me so far, and most evenings are full of at least a few hours of good programming. Tuesdays seem to be the big day, really. Stupid Fox is into baseball, so we won’t see much of the regular shows for the next month while the baseball season winds down. And of course, the CBC is trying to get back on its feet for the hockey season, starting tonight, but then again, there aren’t any shows that I follow on the CBC, so it’s no loss to me. I know The Mac will be glad to see hockey back. All hockey does for me is muck up the schedule, and create a noisier-than-usual atmosphere in any bar/pub type of place I’d maybe otherwise want to go to in any given evening.

Rob and I went to one of our favourite places for chicken wings one Monday, not so long ago. And it being a Monday (Wing Night!), it was Monday Night Football. Usually, you don’t notice all the extra noise at the place, but that was probably because the NFL was quieter over the summer? Anyway, that Monday evening when we went, it was so noisy when we walked through the door, my senses went straight into alert. And the hair stood up on the back of my neck, and I tensed right up. We went upstairs, and all I could say was “no, no, no, no…” the scene was no good at all. They had the televisions and sound systems all turned up so loud that the speakers were straining to get the sound out. We walked upstairs, and looked around, and then left immediately. One of the things that really affects me is sound. Which is why I do not listen to the radio when I’m driving – it tends to send me into a bit of a rage when all the commercials and DJs go on and on nonstop. Hate the talking.

I spoke with The Mac recently, too, which was nice. I called him one morning before I went to work. That was certainly a shake-up of the routine… but it was good to catch up. And apparently Nip/Tuck isn’t delayed a season at all – it’s on the same schedule as the originating U.S. station (which I think is F/X for some reason). They’re certainly not shy about delving into questionable subject matter. All in good fun, I guess.

I really do like that new Supernatural show that’s on the WB this season. Sure, the premise can be thin, at times, and they’re just getting into the character development, so there’s a bit of clunky exposition, but it’s really fun. I love the sci-fi aspect, and I like the characters a lot so far (except for Sam, who is a bit of a brat and kind of pompous, so I guess I really just like the Dean character a lot, and that’s probably because I liked him before from Dark Angel…).

And it’s Thanksgiving Weekend here in Canada… Rob is going camping. I do have a bit of an out, in that I have to stay home and look after the cats. My parents are away traveling, so I really don’t have much of a backup system for the cats, if I want to go away. I wouldn’t mind going for a night or maybe two, but not for the whole weekend, and I suspect it will be fairly cold, as well, so I’m not too broken-up about not going. Heh. I’m fairly pleased, actually, because I have a long list of fall-cleaning to do (yes, in my household, we do fall cleaning, more than spring cleaning), and it will be nice to sleep in and relax and just lounge around a bit.

With regards to the weather, it hasn’t been cooperative. It has been fairly cold, colder than usual. The Mac taunted me with his report that it was +29 where he is on Monday, and that it was supposed to stay quite warm for a while. It snowed here on Monday, and today, I had to clear a thick layer of frost off the Tiny Car before I left for work. We have the Buick’s tires in for replacement, and it will soon be time to put the Tiny Car away for another season. It was quite foggy today, but I’m hoping it’ll be nicer over the weekend.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?